After being slammed with back to back Job assignments for the past few months, I finally went for a short spiritual retreat to Phuket Island! A break much needed. Now that I'm back I can't wait to update my travel experience on XLBCR Escapade! Do keep a lookout!
This week, I finally had the luxury to go into the kitchen & whip something up for breakfast.
It's one of those days again when you wake up having that crave for a warm bowl of congee yet needed to clear the perishable goods from your fridge - like milk & fresh fruits.
That's when my bulb got lighted, & decided to incorporate traditional congee with fruits, granola & milk.
Not just any plain bowl of congee - bursting in nutritional value using a mixture of healthy grains, I also added in superfood like goji berries & dried longan during the cooking process to help improve the immunity system, skin & eyesight. Definitely a yummilicious bowl packed with goodness!
Be fun & creative with it, choose your own blend of grains however you like - flax seed, lentils etc. Here's few tips to get your multigrain congee started:
- Blend the raw mix grains into smaller size - this helps to cook the grains faster & more evenly.
- Use 100% coconut water instead of plain water for the cooking of the grains, it adds a natural sweetness to the congee. You can use the same technique when cooking rice too.
- When the congee is just about done, add in a beaten egg to further accentuate the flavor. (add in yolk only for stronger taste.)
INGREDIENTS - 2 SERVINGS - 30 MINUTES
- 40 g of brown rice
- 40 g of quinoa
- 30 g of oats
- 12 dried goji berries
- 10 dried longans
- 1 egg - beaten
- 2 quail eggs - beaten (optional)
- 400 ml of 100% coconut water - can be substituted with water
- 300 ml of fresh milk
- 2 small banana
- 20 g of blueberries
- 60g of spiced granola - store bought granola sauteed over medium heat with 5 spice powder
- black sesame for garnishing
Soak the dried goji berries & dried longans in room temperature water for at least 10 minutes till soften. In a food processor, blend together brown rice, quinoa & oats into smaller grains of almost equal size. In a pot, add in coconut water over medium heat. When it starts to boil, add in the grains, softened goji berries & longans, adjust heat to medium low.
Stir evenly until the grains absorbed the coconut water & starts to thicken. Continue cooking on low for 5 to 8 minutes until grains are fully cooked through. Add in the beaten eggs right before the grains are done. Off the heat & stir till well incorporated.
Serve it warm in a bowl, top it with spiced granola, fresh blueberries & banana slices. Pour in 150 ml of milk into the bowl & garnish with black sesame seeds. Enjoy!
P.s: Saveur Blog Awards 2016 is officially open now for nomination! If you happened to drop by this space & like what you see, do click here & nominate my blog for the categories you deem fit (ideally - best photography, best food instagram). I'd greatly appreciate your help in helping this blog to grow & hopefully able to go up to the world stage. Thank you!